The Municipal Market of Chania, the huge building of 4,000 sq.m., in a surrounding area of 17,200 sq.m., is the “heart” of the city. An original and studied building, it is not only a center of great business activity, but also a tangible image of the idea of the Agora of Ancient Greece. On June 13, 1908, the issue of building a Municipal Market was discussed in plenary session of the Municipal Council. The Municipal Council votes on the proposal, which was directly related to other renovation and landscaping projects in the city. On August 8, 1908, the Market Committee announced to the Council the final design of the building, the proposals for related works (demolition of the fortress, excavation of the moat, compensation of owners, construction of sheds, etc.) as well as the budget. project costs (320,000 drachmas). In February 1909 the engineer K. Drandakis perfects the plans of the Market and thus completes the relevant file that had previously been prepared by the engineer Mich. Savvakis. On December 7, 1910, the Bank of Crete approved the provision of a loan of 300,000 drachmas with a mortgage on the building itself and the future rents of the branches, and on December 23, 1910, an auction was held for the execution of the project. The foundation is carried out unofficially by the Mayor Emmanuel Mountakis on 14/8/1911 and the project starts immediately. In the second half of 1913 the main project is completed, the Agora begins to operate unofficially from November 1, 1913. Its official opening was made by the then Prime Minister of Greece El. Venizelos on December 4, 1913, three days after the official ceremony of the Union of Crete with Greece.