Inside the old port of Chania, at the end of the 17 Neoria to the west is a majestic house, the Grand Arsenal. With construction beginning around 1585 by General Provider Alvise Grimani, the Grand Arsenal has from time to time changed public functions to justify the “Great” designation.
Around 1872, during the Turkish occupation, a new era began for the Grand Arsenal. The gates of the Christian Community School were housed in its gates, while at times it has hosted theatrical performances, it has been used as a public hospital but also as a town hall.
Today it has been radically renovated and turned into an impressive venue for events and exhibitions. It hosts important organizations with an emphasis on Architecture.