The Church of St. Nicholas, built around 1320 during the Venetian occupation, was originally part of the Dominican Monastery. It is quite special, as it is equipped with a tower and a minaret.
During the Venetian period it was the most important church in the city. After the domination of the Turks in Chania, the temple was turned into a mosque and was named Hiougkar Mosque (Emperor’s Mosque), in honor of the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire. Its importance is emphasized by the existence of two balconies instead of one in the minaret.
In 1928, after being occupied by Orthodox Christians, the mosque was again transformed into a church, dedicated to Agios Nikolaos.