Civil Marriage

Published: September 10, 2019
General Information, Wedding in Chania

If you choose a political marriage don’t think that the process is less bureaucratic in order to issue marriage licenses. Responsible for the political marriage is the municipality, therefore the marriage license issued by any spouse separated from the municipality of their residence. Moreover, the marriage license is different for the Greek citizens, for foreign nationals residing in Greece, Cyprus nationals residing in Greece for foreign nationals and foreign residents on the Greek nationals resident abroad. In all cases the marriage license issued 8 days after the tabling of documents.

Greek nationals, residing in Greece

The supporting documents should be with you are: the publication of your wedding announcement in the paper (two sheets of newspaper for each), the birth certificate (issued by the municipality in each of the spouses has his marital portion) and a solemn declaration attesting that the spouses has no impediment to marriage than those mentioned in Articles 1350, 1351, 1352, 1354, 1356, 1357, 1360 of the Civil Code, a resident of the municipality and that is the first or second marriage etc. In the case of minors under 18 a court decision is needed, in the case of separated couples divorce is necessary, in case of death, death certificate is required and if there is an extinction event, the declaration of extinction. You must have also a deposit of 15 Euros. The city hall will grant an application to be filled in. Remember that in this case you should have already decided on the names of children who would gain.

Residents of Greece, foreign nationals

Aliens must have the following documents with them: a residence permit in Greece (if not the may not have authorized civil marriage), birth certificate translated into Greek, certified by the Consulate in Greece, the country of origin, that is not impediment of marriage are translated into Greek, published the announcement of their wedding in a local daily newspaper, a deposit of 15 Euro and the application will be given for completion by the City.

Nationals of Cyprus, Greece residents

You must carry certificate of freedom, birth certificate, solemn declaration attesting that the spouses has no impediment to marriage than those mentioned in Articles 1350, 1351, 1352, 1354, 1356, 1357, 1360 of the Civil Code, it is first or second marriage, etc. and that is a resident of the municipality in which issued the marriage license. In addition to carrying a wedding announcement in a daily local newspaper, a fee of EUR 15 and the request will enable the City to complete.

Foreign nationals, foreign residents

If you live abroad and foreign nationals and wish to perform your wedding in Greece will issue your marriage license to the competent authorities of your country. Then you need to translate them into Greek official. The translation can be done by the Greek Consulate in your country or by the Translation Service of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Athens.

Greek nationals, foreign residents

For the Greeks living abroad have announced the publication of marriage in a newspaper, an application, a solemn declaration, authorization stamped with the authenticity of the signature of the Consul of the Greek Consulate, a birth certificate and divorce or death certificate if warranted.

Conducting civil marriage

For the performance of civil marriage are married should carry their identity or passport and two adult witnesses who may be associated with their identities.
Be aware that after the execution of civil marriage can take and religious marriage, but not otherwise.