Wedding permit

Published: September 10, 2019
General Information, Wedding in Chania

Religious marriage

Initially, each one of the spouses needs to have a certificate of celibacy, a certificate that it is not bigamous. The certificate issued by the celibacy parish to which the each of the spouses. To give you a certificate of celibacy needs to be with you a birth certificate (issued by the municipality of which the family register of your parents), an affirmation of Law 105, your identity, the newspaper with the announcement of your wedding (two sheets of newspaper for each) and two witnesses to the identities which are responsible to sign a form that you are not married – h. These witnesses should not be first-degree relatives, it is preferable to two friends. If one of you is not married for the first time need to have him divorce case for separation, the death certificate in the case of vacancy or the declaration of extinction in the case of extinction.
After you get certificates from the parishes of guy you go to the church to become a marriage, which is generally the parish of the bride. Please note you must already have decided on the name of your children because you will need to sign a final declaration. The church will be filling out a marriage application, which go to the archdiocese. From there the same day you get the marriage license, which go to church, to be the mystery with you a fee of 15 Euro. The priest shall sign and henceforth you are ready to deal peacefully with the organization of your wedding.
The whole procedure above can be done by another person without your authorization or take the church.

Civil Wedding

Agency responsible for the civil ceremony is the City, so marriage license issued by the spouses of each separate from the municipality of residence. Moreover, the marriage license is different for Greek citizens, foreign nationals residing in Greece for the Cypriot nationals residing in Greece for foreign nationals residing abroad and Greek citizens residing abroad. In all these cases the marriage license issued 8 days after submission of documents.

Greek nationals, residing in Greece

The supporting documents should be with you are: the publication of your wedding announcement in the paper (two sheets of newspaper for each), the birth certificate (issued by the City that each of the spouses has a family portion) and a solemn declaration attesting that the spouses has no impediment to marriage than those mentioned in Articles 1350, 1351, 1352, 1354, 1356, 1357, 1360 of the Civil Code, a resident of the municipality and shall at first marriage or second, etc. In the case of minors under 18 need a court decision in the case of divorce have separated, if necessary death and death certificate if we extinction event, the declaration of extinction. You have and a fee of 15 euros. The City will grant a request to be complete. Remember that in this case you need to have already decided on the names of the children will get.

Residents of Greece, foreign nationals

Aliens must have the following documents with them: a residence permit in Greece (if they have not been granted a civil marriage), birth certificate translated into Greek, a certificate from the consulate in Greece, the country of origin, not impediment to marriage are translated into Greek, published the announcement of their marriage in a local daily newspaper, a fee of 15 Euros and the application will be given for completion of the City.

Nationals of Cyprus, Greece residents

We must bring: freedom certificate, birth certificate, a solemn declaration stating that the spouses has no impediment to marriage than those mentioned in Articles 1350, 1351, 1352, 1354, 1356, 1357, 1360 of the Civil Code, it is first or second marriages, etc. and that is a resident of the municipality which will be issued a marriage license. In addition to carrying a wedding announcement in a daily local newspaper, a fee of EUR 15 and the request will enable the City to complete.

Foreign nationals residing abroad

If you live abroad and foreign nationals and wish to perform your wedding in Greece will issue your marriage license to the competent authorities of your country. Then you need to translate them into Greek official. The translation can be done by the Greek Consulate in your country or by the Translation Service of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Athens.

Greek nationals residing abroad

For the Greeks living abroad have announced the publication of marriage in a newspaper, request, affirmation, authorized by the gnlisio stamped signature of the Consul of the Greek Consulate, a birth certificate and divorce or death certificate if warranted.